These small blocks are a swap with Barbara in Happy Scrappers. These little rails will finished 3 in. when finished. It's easy to get a number of repeats. Good thing there is a swap going on.
Monday, September 27, 2010
When you have a sewing day it amazing what little things that get done. I started cutting out Andrew's alphabet quilt. He has started Mother's Day out and I guess I should have finished this before now, but couldn't get started on it. Amazing what you can get done when you get cracking!
Saturday, September 25, 2010
These are the latest two blocks finished. Look at the first one, those sections unfinished 2 inches and there are 16 of them. I'm still amazed at the blocks being only 6 1/2 inches. I didn't speed through this block by any means. I cut on Tuesday, but so far haven't sewed any more blocks. I really need to finish some other things up.
I have this project, a row by row, that we are to add a row 6 1/2 inches on top and bottom. This gal started with the baskets in the center and I'm the 4Th person to add to this quilt. I stared with the spool blocks, but wasn't happy with two rows of that, and then I thought about the shaded nine patches I'd been making as leaders and enders when I tire of log cabin blocks. I like the two combined. The 9 patch add more color, which I liked and the shape mimics the baskets. Since the owner lives in Kansas I thought it'd be okay to post this one. Kinda makes me want to do a similar scrappy quilt. Just what I need, another project...NOT.
Monday, September 20, 2010
I saw a blog yesterday that had a "on my design wall segment" . I liked it so much I'm adding one to my blog.
I am presently working on a row challenge and have been in a quandary about what to put on this quilt I' m working on. I need to add a row above and a row below. But as I've tried a spool block, which I like, there seems to be something missing. So I tried adding some other blocks I've been making as "leaders and enders". I like the two different blocks so far, and that also would put me almost finished, which I like a lot.
My favorite setting is the first picture. This uses both blocks and best of all it uses my stash of 2 1/2 strips and squares. All in all very satisfying.
Saturday, September 18, 2010
I'm having issues getting the formatting to work like I want. This should be under the other photos. This is a baby quilt made from the remainder of the blocks and I'll be glad to donate it to someone who needs it.
I'm thinking these blocks were a swap from two years ago. Some are not acutally Aunt Grace reproductions like they should have been, but hey it's together. I made the border from 1/2 inch hexagons. Then decided it needed a some leaves. The small green leaves seem to set off the flowers. I'm half way finsihed, had to stop to make a few more hexie flowers. Do love to make them, but very time consuming as with many things in quilting.
This was a complicated block. Won' t be making a quilt of this block. It's a large block, with lots of pieces. This is actually going in a quilt for a friend. A group of us made blocks for her quilt. Since she loves these fabrics, she should love it. Hope I haven't tipped her off.
This block used templates. I truly do not know know how the pioneer women did it. What courage it took to suffer through making quilts with templates. Anyway, that's why there is just one. I have been steady cutting out blocks at the shop on Wed. with the group. Kitsey told us we had one more week of the papers for paper piecing. We all decided we wanted to keep meeting. Personally, I need the inspiration to continue considering how much it takes to make some of these blocks such as this Blazing Star.
Thursday, September 9, 2010
These are the latest blocks I finished. There is a lag between when I make these and when they get finished.
I really love the leaf. I did pick a couple of easy ones to take a break from the heavy sewing.
Today I'm finishing another, then got to get on Caroly'n's swap that is due this month.
Making progress and happy quilting!