Sunday, September 29, 2013

Yesterday in the sewing room

After finishing the row quilt, I cleaned up a bit.  Put up pieces I had gotten out, cut up scraps and put these away  (this is so much easier a little at a time) and thought I was going to start on Alex's quilt, however, since I think I'm a little ,or lot, ADD, I spied my leader ender project tiny bow ties and started on that. I put more together and saw what I needed to do next.  I'm really ready to finish this.
I went on and cut out enough to get this done, but the more  I think of it I would like to try a new border instead of just binding.  I probably will need more units cut out and have more sewing, but I want to try.  I also see I'm a little heavy on the pink here.

There are days in my life where I spend the day searching for things.  
One thing that really got me searching was trying to figure out what I had started cutting out for my next leader ender.  I spent a good bit of time looking on Bonnie Hunters blog for the directions.  I remembered it was 2012 challenge she had put out, but for the life of me I couldn't find it.  Now I know everyone else in the world can remember things like what they spent time cutting out of scarps, but not me.  Anyway, last night I happen to find an article she put out on tech questions and she had a link to searching on her blog.  Really learned something too.  It  seems at the top of the blog on the left is a search box above the title of the blog.  Found what I was looking for and how that helped.  Then I made a block so I would know what I was doing.
Is this cute or what.  It finishes 3.5 in.  Ready to start this one too.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

In my sewing room

Lately I've done more planning for the row quilt challenge, than sewing.  I've been on the computer looking up stuff, talking to people, getting ideas and sweating .  I have no idea if the row I did is okay, but gave it my best.  The quilt had some problems I had to work around also.  So this is what I've come up with.
I did the very last row.  There is a tree and a cow on here but it so hard to see.  Working in batiks don't show up the work too well.  Looks better in person.  Hope the original person who did the chickens likes it.

Other things have been happening too.  
I attended a basket class at my friend Polly's house with two others and we made baskets.  This is my first to make and it turned out nice.  It's pretty big and roomy.  John suggested I put all my hand projects in it.  Good suggestion.  I have been making a little progress on Alex's quilt. 

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Current on going projects in my sewing room

I've going into sewing room much more frequently.  It's been a real treat.  In an effort to organize scraps I landed on several projects to use the scraps and found other projects I had tried years ago..
An apple core I cut a long time ago, now re cutting and using stamp to mark.  I'll be hand sewing this.

The smaller pieces folded and placed in colors and 
the larger pieces folded and layered on top.  Only One drawer of many, but you got to start somewhere.

Cassie, my daughter in law, asked for a black and white with pink quilt.  I've cut the squares so far.  I'll use my go cutter to cut the stripes for the sashing.

Progress on Alex's quilt
My working progress

Lotto block for the Sept. meeting

Finished rosettes hexies so far
So as you can see, I've been doing this and that, but getting there on many.

Sock one of two

I am so pleased with my effort so far.  I had far fewer mistakes and feel like I am getting close to knowing what I'm doing sock knitting wise.  I love this thread and the fit is much better than the first pair.  Ready to start sock 2.

Friday, September 6, 2013

Quilt quilted by friend

Wow, what a friend,  she worked two days custom quilting my red and white Irish chain, with me standing around trying to be useful.   She did let me trim a few triangle squares and do lunch, but such a small amount for all the work she did.  I love it too!  Now, on to binding.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Reorganizing sewing room

I wrote about getting into my sewing room and it worked at first, but after working in there a while I realized it wasn't working so well.  I needed to organize some more.

I added a board on top of these high baskets and this is holding the applique I been working on.  Lately it been more not than am but now it's very visible.

Here I 've used a file organizer and put blocks or leaders and enders bagged and ready to work on when I want.  The boxes hold less urgent projects.

The  basket is holding sets of blocks made in swaps or just something I wanted to do.  Someday, they will be in a quilt.  It's full too.
One problem I found with the shelf that held my boxes of squares and bricks was that I couldn't get to them.. Too easy to put stuff in front of the boxes.  So I used the far space to put yardage and rearranged the boxes that held the small squares, only placing containers I could see through in front.  

On the top shelves I've boxed the UFO's I wanted to do sooner, rather than later.  I really thought about each one really hard before boxing and labeling.

Now it's really working better for me.  Today I spent the afternoon refolding a large drawer of children fabrics, which are mostly brights.  I arranged them by colors and put the yardage on top.  I should take a picture, it looks great and I have such a sense of accomplishment.  I want to continue until I have all wire drawers done.